This website uses cookies to function correctly.
You may delete cookies at any time but doing so may result in some parts of the site not working correctly.

Sickness Certificates

You do not require a doctor's sickness certificate for any illness lasting seven days or less. Your employer may however require you to complete a self-certification form (SC2) which is available from your employer or on the HMRC website.

Evidence that you are sick

If you are sick for more than seven days, your employer Sickness Certificatescan ask you to give them some form of medical evidence to support payment of SSP (statutory sick pay).  Most employers ask for a fit note from your GP.

Your employer can ask you to confirm that you've been ill.  You can do this by filling in a form yourself when you return to work if you have been off for seven days or less. This is called self-certification.

However, this will also depend on your employer's company policy on sick leave (or sickness absence). This policy should tell you how many days you can be off sick before you need to provide proof of illness or a fit note.

You could also provide evidence from someone who is not a medical practitioner, e.g. a dentist. Your employer will decide whether or not this evidence is acceptable. If your employer has any doubts, they may still ask for a medical certificate from your GP.

Statement of Fitness for Work - Med3 form or 'Fit Note'

The Med3 ('fit note') was introduced on 6 April 2010. With your employer's support, the note will help you return to work sooner by providing more information about the effects of your illness or injury.

For more information see the DirectGov website (where this information was sourced)

Isolation note for Coronavirus

You can get an isolation note from NHS 111 online if you have been told to self-isolate because of coronavirus and you need a note for your employer.

This service if only for people who:

  • Have symptoms of coronavirus
  • Live with someone who has symptoms of coronavirus

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website